Changes to how you buy road tax

Under changes announced by the Government the requirement to supply a printed Motor Insurance Certificate when buying road tax at the post office has now stopped.

Insurance is still a legal requirement unless a vehicle has been declared off road with a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN). This change has been introduced to make the process easier for motorists and has been made possible through the DVLA using centrally-held databases to ensure that vehicles are insured.

The changes to the tax process come ahead of the tax disc being replaced by an electronic system in October 2014.

What does this mean for you?

If you buy your road tax at the post office you no longer need to take a certificate of Motor Insurance with you. Instead the details will be cross-checked on an electronic system.

Please remember you can now tax your car online

You may not be able to tax your vehicle online in all instances.

Tax your vehicle online